Page Content (click on blue titles):
User Permissions Required (contact your BestNotes System Administrator for user permissions):
For more documentation on the Register Tab, click HERE.
Go to Settings -> Ledger
- Click the Manage Categories button.
- At the bottom of the window, click New Category.
- Give the category a Title.
- Save before checking any boxes.
- Click on Clinical Codes / Taxable checkbox(es) as needed, for preparation in sending claims to Payers.
- Edit Category Titles
- Check Clinical Codes as needed.
- Check Taxable as needed.
- Inactivate category for historical purposes (removes this code as an option where Ledgers are added).
- Lock category for discussion.
- Delete Category if it has not been used.
- Create "Add-on Codes" Category for any additional fees.
- Insurance Copay is not available.
Add-On Code Category / List
- Create an "Add-on Codes" Category.
- Require Parent Code
- Interpreter during treatment
- Extra massage after treatment
- Enter "Add-on" Codes into this category through New Items / Codes (Click HERE or see below and return to Code Modifiers).
- Check Both Add-on (designates it as an Add-on code) and Req. Parent (Require Parent Code).
- Type in modifier.
- Click on Save Modifier.
- Read the message before making any changes.
- Same day with 2 sessions of the same treatment = 2nd session and code needs a modifier.
Create (The user may add as many items as needed to define the ledger):
- Click on the New Item/Code button.
- Create codes to use in conjunction with a category.
- This box will be used to define the ledger by adding a code, description, and unit price.
- Remember to SAVE each time.
- Service units are used to calculate a provider's units (time) for payroll purposes.
- For example: if a ledger code has .25 service units for every 1 unit applied in a patients ledger, then the provider gets paid 25% for that service.
- For CPT ledger codes: Service units can be used as a way to calculate a provider's payment and productivity.
- For example: Medicare uses this model for reimbursements and they refer to them as Relative Value Unit, or RVUs.
- The C-Appointment Status and Log Review by Log Date reports multiply ledger units times the services units to get a total which can then used to calculate a providers time paid.
- The Ledger Setup report will display all ledger items.
- Select Category from View codes by.
- Add Fees to schedules for each item/code (See below to know how to add Fee Schedules).
- Bill Rate is how much the company charges the insurance company. This amount shows on the client's register tab.
- Pay rate is how much a company pays the staff for that service. This amount will also display on the Register Ledger Report.
- Select a blue Item/Code.
- Manage codes in Edit Code section.
- Insurance Copay is not available.
For example, 00000 would be an unrecognized CPT code.
Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) is a code set that is used to report medical procedures and services to entities such as physicians, health insurance companies, and accreditation organizations.
Use a code that will be sent and accepted by payers.
Fee Schedules (military discounts, different insurance costs, etc. - Assign a Fee in the Client's Episode tab. For more information, Click Here)
- Click the Manage Fee Schedules button.
- At the bottom of the window, click on Create New Schedule.
- Enter a Title.
- Edit Titles
- Check the Active box, as needed
- NOTE: Adding Fee Schedules last requires you to open each category and type in Fees for each Code.
- Ledger Settings can be programmed to process default units via Fee Schedules or what a Payer wants.
- When adding ledgers, the Usual fee will populate like normal for Appointments and Group Note Group Entries, but when the ledger is saved the Fee Schedule will post and the Fee Schedule will populate when a single ledger is being added on a client's Register tab or Note.
- For example, the Insurance wants 6 units on the claim (Requires the Bill Rate to be a number that will multiply with the Fee Schedule's Default Units to get the desired amount):
Populates Usual Fee First
Posts Fee schedule upon saving.
Register / Ledger Report
For the Register Ledger Report, click HERE.
Ledger Setup Report (Manage Ledger permission required): displays all Ledger Items/Codes created in BestNotes. It can be filtered by Category. It is sorted by Category and grouped by Procedural Codes.