ASAM Continuum is a computerized clinical decision support system (CDS) that provides a computer-guided, standardized interview for assessing and caring for patients with substance use and co-occurring conditions. With Continuum, clinicians can:
- Conduct a comprehensive biopsychosocial patient risk and needs assessment along the six ASAM Criteria Dimensions.
- Determine the ASAM Criteria Level of Care recommendation, including continued stay and transfer recommendations.
- Obtain ASI Severity Subscale Composite Scores: Medical, Alcohol, Drug, Psychological, Employment, Family/Social and Legal.
- Complete CIWA and CINA assessments for withdrawal.
- Speed up and successfully obtain managed care prior authorizations.
- This is an external product provided by the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM). BestNotes will only provide the billing and the connection to this service. For more information, visit the ASAM Continuum Knowledge Base.
The user must have an email address in the user details area, this is a requirement of ASAM.
User Permissions Required (contact your BestNotes System Administrator for user permissions):
If an ASAM PDF will not open in BestNotes, it will need to be downloaded from ASAM to BestNotes again.
Release Notes from ASAM
On Monday, April 16, 2018, release 2.3 will be deployed to the ASAM CONTINUUM™ demo site followed by a deployment to CONTINUUM production on Monday, April 23, 2018.
Release 2.3 introduces the following functionality.
- Gives users the ability to pull forward a prior completed CO-Triage™ screener into a new CO-Triage screener for reassessment purposes.
- User will be prompted by a message asking if they would like to pull forward questions and answers for the most recent screener performed on the client within the same organization (HIPPA covered entity).
- Adds a configurable parameter that can be set for each CONTINUUM Organization to specify the number of days in which questions and answers can be pulled forward from a previously completed assessment. There are (3) three scenarios in which this may occur.
- Pull a CO-Triage screener into a new CO-Triage screener
- Pull a CO-Triage screener into a new Comprehensive Assessment
- Pull a Comprehensive Assessment into a new Comprehensive Assessment
- The pull forward parameter will default to always giving the user the option to pull forward an assessment for the cases specified above.
- To set a custom pull forward parameter for a specific organization in any of the scenarios specified above a request may be sent to CONTINUUMSupport@feisystems.com.
- Adds a “Provider ID” field.
- This addition gives the TPD the option of passing a number that is stored in its system to identify the client. The number can be composed of numbers and characters that the TPD passes to CONTINUUM when creating a client or updating a client.