BestNotes custom test results allow you to record in office test results, and manually enter lab results. These tests can be created by you, entered into the Med/Clinical tab, and then imported into Assessments, Treatment Plans, Templates, and Group Notes using the special field. Only the system administrator can set up the custom tests, and the "Manage System Customization" permission is required. Additional users will need the appropriate permissions to view and edit test results.
Before you create your custom tests, you will need to submit a ticket to BestNotes Support to have them activate the "Custom Tests" tab in your Med/Clinical. If you do not have this activated, you will not see the custom tests that you create in your Med/Clinical tab.
Create custom tests
When you are logged into BestNotes, follow these steps to view, create, and update your custom tests.
- Navigate to the "Settings" area on the bottom left navigation bar.
- Navigate to the "System Customization" area.
- Then navigate to the "Modules" section.
- Within the "Modules" section, you will select the "Custom Tests" tab.
From this area, you can view and edit any existing tests, and create new tests.
Create a new test
- Select "Add new row."
- Fill in the desired areas.
- Select "Save."
You will need to fill out all of the required fields, and any other fields necessary for your test result. The fields marked with an asterisk are required, and are defined as follows:
- *Test Code: this is the name of the test.
- *Test Description: this is the description of the test.
- Result Measurement: this is a measurement of the result, and a drop-down selection option.
- *Expected Result: this is the expected outcome.
- Between Result High: if your result needs to fall between two expectations, this is your highest expected result.
- Result Options: if you would like the result to be specific options every time, place the options here with a vertical pipe separating each option.
- Active: This must be selected to make the test active in the med/clinical, and can be unselected to inactivate the test.
Edit an existing test
Locate the test you would like to update, and click the area within that line that you would like to update. The areas that can be adjusted are as follows:
- Test Description
- Result Measurement
- Expected Result
- Between Result High
- Result Options
All other areas are not editable.
Once you have completed setting up the custom tests, you will need to update your permissions, and the permissions of any additional users that will need to view and edit the test results.
Record custom tests
Once your custom tests have been created, the custom tests tab has been added to your med/clinical, and the appropriate permissions have been set, you will have the ability to view and edit tests results in each client's chart.
View test results
- Navigate to the Med/Clinical.
- Select "Test Results."
- You can select the double arrow to view more details, and you can select the edit or trash icon to update or delete the entry.
Record test results
- Select "New Test Result."
- Select the test you would like to enter results for.
- Fill out or select the "Result", Select the "Provider", verify the "Date received", and add any additional notes.
- Select "Save."
There are several special fields that you can use in reference to the Custom Test results. For a complete list of special fields view the Med/Clinical section labeled 'Test Results' in our All Special Fields document.
To add this to a med/clinical document, you can send a request to BestNotes Support indicating which document you would like this added to, and where within that document you would like it placed.
Templates and Group Notes
To add this to a template or a group note, navigate to the template builder, select the template you would like to enter the special field into, and add the special field as follows:
Viewing the results
Once you have added the special field, and you have entered results into the client's chart, you can view these results in the document. Here are some examples of how the information will appear.
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback about this feature, you can reach out to BestNotes Support.
Back to top of page