Billing Step 2 Video
Click Play button
Billing Step 2 Documentation
Page Content (click on blue titles):
For any user that is authorized to manage claims, they will need several permissions.
Administer Programs - Adds a Payer button on the client’s Episode tab, which will allow Authorizations. NOTE: This permission also allows a user to admit clients into programs and alter existing program admissions.
- Manage Ledger - Allows a user to add categories and item codes to the Ledger/Register
- Manage Payers - Allows a user to manage and add payer information in the Payer module
- NOTE: Have your on-site System Administrator ask your BestNotes Implementer to turn this on.
A billing user will need permissions to VIEW client’s clinical notes and documentation, as well.
Providers who perform billable services will need their Provider NPI entered into the Provider IDs tab within their user account. This is standard practice. If you have clinical staff without an NPI they will need a supervisor assigned to them for billable services they provide.
NOTE: If Facility-NPI and Taxonomy (Sec) boxes are missing, please let BestNotes Support know in a ticket on this website.
Add a company list of Payers into BestNotes by clicking Settings and then Payers.
A payer’s identification can be acquired from three sources.
- The quickest and easiest way is to contact the Payer
- Refer to the UHIN’s Payers List at uhin.org/payer-list
- Download the spreadsheet
- Search for your payers.
- Refer to access.emdeon.com/PayerLists/
- Click the "View complete Payer list" link.
- Search for the Payer.
- Payer information could change from time to time and disrupt claims. Update when necessary.
- Best practice to have BOTH UB and HCFA Ids (They usually are the same if your company only uses one, so just copy the number to the ID field that you are not using)
- You can even add companies, which are NOT insurance based, to send invoices.
- Companies that are NOT insurance based can have any number added in either UB or HCFA boxes.
- BestNotes Support recommends using a PO or a contract number if you have one.
- Payer Id - unique national id for payer
- Trading Partner Number (etin) - routing number that the clearinghouse uses to deliver claims to the payer.
To edit an existing Payer, click on the name on the left-hand side. Click Save if changes were made or Clear to start a new Payer entry.
- Clear will not delete existing Payer information.
- Inactive Payers will NOT make changes to authorizations.
Settings -> Ledger
Click on Manage Categories button.
Check the Clinical Codes box for each category that contains codes required on a claim.
For each category that has Procedural Codes checked, open those categories, and click on their individual item codes
Type the Procedural Codes
NOTE: Only type in the code number (e.g. CPT codes) in the Procedural Code text box that will be sent to and accepted by Payer. Review with BestNotes Implementer, as needed. Anything else will cause a claim to be rejected. Click Save. After a client has been assigned this code in their register tab, this will lock the ProceduralCode box from further edits.
For example, 00000 would be an unrecognized CPT code.
Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) is a code set that is used to report medical procedures and services to entities such as physicians, health insurance companies and accreditation organizations.
NOTE: For more information on Ledger Settings, click HERE.